This month I am on a mission to pretend it feels like the holidays here on the North Shore! Not to the point where we are going to buy garland and decorating like crazy buuuut mistletoe will be hung, there will scents of caramel corn 24/7 and Mariah Carry’s Christmas album will be on repeat! 😉
To be perfectly honest, it doesn’t feel festive here at all. The only thing festive is all the big surf contests going on so there’s that hustle bustle in air!
There is part of me that watches the news and sees a snow blizzard and longs to be stuck inside under a cozy blanket, socks pulled up to my knees next to a fire place! The Canadian in me longs for at least one frost bit toe:)
So to help get in the holiday season we are going to have fun in the kitchen and makes some favorite holiday treats with a healthy vegan twist! (maybe not always super healthy… but WAY healthier than its counter part;) Can we do this and live vicariously through you cold country people?! My goal is to share super delicious holiday recipes that even a non vegan-health junkie would pay its respect too!
Today’s experiment was Caramel Pop Corn! My mom made the best caramel popcorn every single Christmas in massive batches and put in these big bins to have on demand. She made the kind that you put in the oven so its that perfect texture!
Well I don’t have an oven, and we are not going to use butter or corn syrup but its going to be dang good!!
Here is the very simple way to make vegan popcorn!!
- 6 quarts popcorn (1 cup un-popped)
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Optional: macadamia nuts
- Pop corn- fluff the pop corn so the un popped kernels fall to the bottom. Removed the un-popped.
- In small pot- melt together water, coconut butter, coconut sugar on medium heat stirring constantly until boiling. No higher than medium heat to avoid burning.
- Let boil for 2 minutes untouched.
- Take off heat, stir in remaining ingredients (baking soda, salt, vanilla).
- Pour immediately over popcorn and stir to evenly to coat the popped corn! Cool in the refrigerator and store in airtight container!
Enjoy!! If you make it I would love to see on @earthyandy!
Hope you all are well and I am always so curious what people get up to for the holidays! Feel free to share with us!